This homemade Italian dressing recipe is a staple in our kitchen. It calls for a handful of basic ingredients, and it’s delicious on salads, grains, and more!
You are watching: Homemade Italian Salad Dressing
Italian Dressing Recipe Ingredients
You only need a few basic ingredients to make this easy homemade Italian dressing:
- Lemon juice and white wine vinegar – They make the dressing zesty and bright.
- Dijon mustard – For extra tang.
- Garlic – It adds sharp, savory depth of flavor.
- Honey – Don’t skip it! Instead of making the dressing sweet, it mellows the bold lemon juice, vinegar, and Dijon mustard. If you’re vegan, use maple syrup in its place.
- Fresh parsley, dried oregano, and thyme – For fresh Italian flavor! This combination of fresh and dried herbs gives this dressing more nuance and depth than you’d find in any bottled dressing.
- Extra-virgin olive oil – It adds richness and marries the flavors of the other ingredients.
- And sea salt and freshly ground black pepper – To make all the flavors pop!
Add the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, honey, herbs, salt, and pepper to a small bowl, and whisk to combine. Alternatively, place the ingredients in a Mason jar with a tight-fitting lid, and shake until the dressing is emulsified. Season to taste, and enjoy!
I like this recipe for Italian dressing as-is, but if you want to amp up the flavor even more, stir in a few tablespoons of freshly grated Parmesan cheese before serving. This homemade salad dressing is also delicious with a pinch of red pepper flakes for heat!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Homemade Italian Dressing Serving Suggestions
This homemade Italian dressing recipe is really versatile! Once you have it on hand, you won’t have any trouble putting it to use. Toss it with your favorite greens to make a simple side salad, use it in my Mediterranean Quinoa Salad, or swap it in for the dressing in any of these salad recipes:
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Easy Pasta Salad
- Cherry Tomato Couscous Salad
- Citrus Salad with Fennel and Avocado
Not in the mood for salad? Not a problem! This zesty dressing has other uses, too. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Drizzle it over roasted veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes, potatoes, or Brussels sprouts.
- Use it to brighten up grilled veggie skewers, grilled asparagus, grilled eggplant, grilled potatoes, or grilled zucchini.
- Toss it with cooked quinoa, couscous, or farro and fresh herbs to make a hearty side dish.
- Use it as a punchy marinade for cooked lentils, chickpeas, or white beans.
- Spoon it over a simple grain bowl, like this Sweet Potato Quinoa Bowl.
How do you like to use homemade Italian dressing? Let me know in the comments!
More Homemade Dressing Recipes
If you love this Italian salad dressing recipe, try one of these homemade dressings next:
- Lemon Vinaigrette
- Greek Salad Dressing
- Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Green Goddess Dressing
- Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Homemade Caesar Dressing