Slightly sweet, delicate flavor of this easy baked ocean perch will be a great healthy lunch or dinner option. Paired with lemon and garlic this white fish still keeps its sweet and delicate flavor
This fish belongs to rockfish family and has an absolutely beautiful pink red skin. The meat is white and moist and has a very mild flavor.
You are watching: How To Bake Perch Fillets
Is ocean perch good to eat
Its a very lean fish and has almost no fat in it. Packed with protein, it also has large amount of selenium and vitamin B12. The calorie count per standard size fillet (3oz) is only 80 calories! What great healthy choice of fish for those who watch their weight.
How to cook ocean perch fillets
In this recipe we will be baking fish in the oven. Its a very easy and quick recipe, great for anyone, even beginners in cooking.
First, rinse the fish and make sure there is no bones left. Pick the baking dish size depending on the size of your fillet. Season fish with salt and pepper.
Place sea bream fillets in the dish and sprinkle them with chopped green onions. If you are a fan of cilantro or parsley with your fish, add those greens at this step, too.
The top layer is lemon. Slice it as thin as you can and place on top of fillets. About two-three pieces on each fillet. Garlic tastes delicious in this recipe so i finely chopped some and added on top of everything. Garlic also could be minced or you can use garlic powder.
When the preparation is over its time to start to bake! Sea bream will be ready in about 15 to 20 minutes. Cooking time depends on the thickness of the fish.
Recipe notes and tips
- If purchasing fresh fish, look at the skin color. It should be no browning or greying. The fresh saltwater smell is a must!
- Ocean perch just like any other mild flavored fish can be also broiled, sautéed or baked. It is delicious anyway!
- This fish is not seasonal and available all year around. Its great because you can purchase it from the store at any time.
- Fish should be cooked all the way through, which is at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit. I am using a stick thermometer to check the internal temperature.
- Treat this fish just like any other white fish. You can use it in a variety of recipes.
- Is ocean perch good to eat? It is loaded with a variety of nutrients, vitamins and protein. It has a good amount of selenium, B12 and almost no fat.
- Leftovers? Keep leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days in a airtight container. It also can be stored wrapped in foil or in the bowl, covered with another plate. I never froze cooked fish so if you did and it turned out great, please let me know in the comment section below.
What to serve it with
If you are looking for a light dinner, baked ocean perch would be so good. Just serve it with a light salad or steamed or sauteed vegetables.
For lunch i recommend serve this white fish with white or brown rice. Add some fresh tomato salsa on top for extra flavor.
Or you can even serve it as simple as with a piece of crunchy bread. Just top the bread with some butter or garlic spread, or even some pesto. Then lay a piece of fish fillet on top of bread.
One more delicious way to eat it is on taco. Add some shredded cabbage or coleslaw, cilantro and avocado and voila! Healthy dinner is served and ready to be enjoyed.
You may also like…
- Pan seared grouper with lemon butter
- Garlic pan fried shad roe recipe
- Easy cockles recipe
- Oven baked salmon collars
- Air fryer catfish nuggets