Oven roasted brussels sprouts with bacon is the perfect brussel sprouts recipe to win over the pickiest eater!
You are watching: How To Cook Frozen Brussel Sprouts With Bacon
Bacon with vegetables go together like peanut butter and jelly. We love the combination so much we have many recipes dedicated to it!
Check out our bacon mashed cauliflower, our bacon asparagus, our bacon wrapped dates, and you can’t forget our deviled eggs made with …bacon!
Brussel sprouts tend to scare people away. We’re not sure why! You can steam your brussel sprouts and create a brown butter sauce to toss it in; you can grill them, pan fry them, and our favorite roast brussel sprouts in the oven!
The ways to cook brussel sprouts are endless!
What are brussel sprouts?
Let’s talk about brussel sprouts and why they need to become a staple in your home.
Looking like mini cabbages (and honestly, you can treat them the same way), brussel sprouts are a part of the Brassicaceae family.
Related to our fall favorite kale, cauliflower, and mustard greens vegetables, we can gather a taste profile.
What do brussel sprouts taste like?
The taste of brussel sprouts are similar to broccoli, and the texture is like cabbage.
What ingredients are in roasted brussel sprouts with bacon?
The beauty of oven roasted brussels sprouts with bacon is that this is a 5 ingredient recipe!
- olive oil
- brussel sprouts
Tips For Prepping Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Clean Brussels Sprouts. When using fresh brussel sprouts, be sure you thoroughly was the brussel sprouts. Sometimes peeling the other layer may be necessary (just like cabbage).
- Cut Ends. If the brussel sprouts are from your garden or the farmers market, the ends may be a bit too long. You can cut the ends down to the stump.
- Use Fresh Brussels Sprouts. For roasting brussel sprouts in the oven with bacon, using fresh brussel sprouts will ensure that it is not soggy and will crisp nicely.
How To Make Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Now that you have clean, fresh, trimmed brussel sprouts, it is time to easily prepare it in a few steps!
- Preheat your oven.
- Slice brussel sprouts in half and place in a large bowl.
3. Drizzle Olive oil, salt and pepper over the brussel sprouts and stir to combine.
4. Lay the brussel sprouts face down on the baking sheet.
5. Place bacon in between the brussel sprouts, making sure they are touching the baking sheet directly.
6. Bake for 10 minutes in preheated oven, then flip them over.Do not peek at the brussel sprouts the first ten minutes. The best way to get that yummy golden crust is to leave them without peeking.
7. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until they are fork tender and the bacon is crisp. Pay close attention towards the end of cooking time – when the bacon starts to turn…things will move quickly!
Can I roast frozen brussels sprouts?
There are times fresh brussel sprouts are unavailable at your local market, so the next best thing is frozen brussel sprouts.
So, yes, you can roast frozen brussel sprouts. Just know that frozen brussel sprouts may not be as crisp as fresh brussel sprouts would be.
Tips for roasting frozen brussels sprouts:
Follow the steps just as with fresh brussel sprouts, and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes.
- Do not thaw out the brussel sprouts. This is what makes brussel sprouts soggy.
- Cut your brussel sprouts in half. (Do this halfway through!)
- Toss with a high smoke point oil. Vegetable or avocado oil work great! (Do not use a lot of oil.)
- Bake brussel sprouts on a baking sheet, make sure the brussel sprouts are spread out and NOT overlapping. You want frozen brussel sprouts to dehydrate the excess water that built up while freezing.
- Use a higher temperature for a nice crisp!
What To Serve With Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Bacon
Since brussel sprouts are in season in the fall (October and November), think comfort dishes! Soups, casseroles, and slow cooker meals all could use a side of this smoky brussel sprouts with bacon recipe!
- Bacon Pot Roast- Keep the bacon wagon going with this garlic bacon pot roast recipe!
- Traditional Lasagna- The epitome of a comfort dish, lasagna would compliment this brussel sprout recipe really well!
- Cheddar Broccoli Rice Casserole- Hearty and healthy, your family will love this broccoli cheddar inspired rice casserole dish that will pair will with a side of bacon brussel sprouts!
Is brussel sprouts a healthy vegetable?
High in antioxidants, fiber, and working as an anti-inflammatory brussel sprouts is a healthy vegetable to regularly add to your meals. For more of the health benefits of brussel sprouts, read this article on 10 ways brussel sprouts are good for your health by Healthline.
What to Serve with Brussels Sprouts
- Slow Cooker Roast Beef
- Electric Roaster Turkey
- Garlic Butter Salmon