Here’s how to make the best grilled okra! It’s beyond easy with just 4 ingredients, and it’s a flavor-filled side dish to any summer meal.
Hey, okra fans; we’ve got your new favorite recipe. Meet this easy Grilled Okra! Just 10 minutes on the grill and this tasty vegetable comes out tender and full of smoky flavor. There’s no need for fancy seasoning: just throw it on the grill and you’ll be amazed at how incredible it tastes. This okra recipe is the perfect summer side dish for a grilled dinner, or it works as a grilled appetizer when you serve it with a dipping sauce. Let’s get grilling!
You are watching: How To Cook Okra On The Grill
Got lots of okra? Try our Pickled Okra or Roasted Okra.
Ingredients for grilled okra
This recipe requires only 4 ingredients to make fantastic tasting grilled okra! Of course, you can get fancy with seasonings and dipping sauce too (keep reading). But for the basic recipe all you need is:
- Fresh okra Make sure it’s the freshest you can find!
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
How to grill okra
Grilled okra is one of the easiest grilled vegetables there is. You don’t even need to cut the veggies! Place them on the grill grates and they come out perfectly tender. Here are the basic steps (or jump to the recipe below):
- Preheat a grill to medium high heat. That’s 375 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the okra with olive oil: you don’t even need to measure — just enough to coat!
- Grill on the grates 5 minutes per side. Flip with a spatula and grill until tender and charred! Spritz with fresh lemon juice and enjoy.
Seasonings to spice up grilled okra
This recipe is for an easy, basic grilled okra recipe that comes out fresh and tender! But if you want to spice it up with some seasonings, there are lots of ways to take it up a notch. Here are a few ideas:
- Cajun seasoning: Add Cajun flavor and a kick of heat!
- Blackened seasoning: Get all the Cajun flavor without being spicy: so good!
- Greek Seasoning: This blend of Mediterranean herbs like oregano and dill is perfect for any vegetable.
- Old Bay Seasoning: Old Bay on okra? Why not! This popular seafood and potato seasoning works on okra too.
Add a dipping sauce!
This grilled okra is fabulous on its own: we inhaled it without a dipping sauce! But to make it more of a grilled appetizer than a grilled side dish, you can add a sauce! Here’s are a few ideas that we’d recommend:
- Honey Mustard Sauce Three ingredients make big, tangy flavor.
- Creamy Cilantro Sauce, Cilantro Dressing, or Cilantro Lime Crema Bright green and zingy.
- Dill Sauce or Lemon Dill Sauce: Full of fresh herby flavor! Brings in a Mediterranean vibe.
- White BBQ Sauce: Uniquely creamy with a spicy finish: think black pepper and horseradish.
- Chipotle Sauce: A creamy Mexican style sauce with a spicy kick.
- Homemade Ranch: Why not dip them into ranch dressing?
Grilled okra makes it a meal
Want to make it a meal? This grilled okra is perfect with all sorts of main dishes. Because they’re shaped like fries, they work well with burgers: or they’re perfect with shrimp or salmon. Here are favorite ways to accessorize this tasty side dish:
- Grilled veggie burger. Try our Perfect Portobello Burger or Best Veggie Burger.
- Grilled shrimp or scallops. Perfect Grilled Shrimp, Shrimp Skewers, Cajun Shrimp, Blackened Shrimp or Grilled Scallops make a fantastic pair.
- Grilled fish. Or, try with grilled fish like Perfect Grilled Salmon, Grilled Tilapia, Grilled Cod, or Grilled Ahi Tuna.
- Grilled tofu. Do you love plant based grilling? Try this Grilled Tofu, unexpectedly delicious and full of big flavor.
This grilled okra recipe is…
Vegetarian, vegan, plant-based, dairy-free and gluten-free.
More grilled vegetables
We’ve made it our goal to grill every vegetable! Here are all the best to try:
- Perfect Corn, Corn in Foil, Corn in Husk, or Elote The best ways to cook this seasonal treat.
- Portobellos or Mushroom Skewers Full of meaty, smoky flavor.
- Cauliflower or Broccoli Charred florets of goodness.
- Onions, Peppers, Tomatoes, Eggplant, Zucchini and Squash Perfect for summer.
- Grilled Potatoes, Potatoes in Foil, Grilled Baked Potato, Sweet Potatoes, or Carrots Classic!
- Asparagus, Avocado, Bok Choy, Beets, or Brussels Sprouts Unique, tasty and easy.
- Romaine, Cabbage, or Kale These leafy greens are fantastic grilled.