Wondering how to cut cabbage? Here’s a step by step guide and video that shows you how to make shredded cabbage and cut up cabbage for coleslaw.
Video: How to cut cabbage
Are you wondering how to cut up cabbage for coleslaw but not sure the best way? Alex and I have perfected a method for how to shred cabbage perfectly, without your knife slipping or ending up with really long or uneven pieces. We use this method for shredded cabbage all the time, like when we make our favorite coleslaw recipe or a tangy slaw to top our crispy cauliflower tacos. Using this method really changed the game for us, and we hope it will for you too! Here’s our step by step guide for how to cut cabbage, including a video of me cutting cabbage in our kitchen.
You are watching: How To Cut Up Cabbage
Related: 20 Knife Skills Videos: How to Cut Everything!
How to cut cabbage step by step
Remove any outer layers of the cabbage that seem tough or are not fresh, and discard them.
With a large chef’s knife, slice off the root of the cabbage.
Cut the cabbage in half through the stem.
Cut the cabbage into quarters.
Remove the root of the cabbage by cutting it out diagonally.
Thinly slice the cabbage in the short direction, using a circular motion with the knife. Since typically shredded cabbage for coleslaw doesn’t need to be in long pieces, slicing it in the short direction makes it easier to eat!
And there you have it: how to cut cabbage in 6 easy steps!
Let us know if you try our method for shredded cabbage and how it goes in the comments below.
Best chef knife & cutting boards
Alex and I are often asked about the best kitchen tools. And every time we answer, “A good sharp chef’s knife!” A good knife can drastically improve your time in the kitchen, and lasts for years (we’ve had our chef knives for 10 plus years). Here are some of the knives we recommend, as well as cutting boards and the best knife sharpener. These recommendations are perfect for outfitting your own kitchen, or great gifts for a wedding registry or someone who loves to cook!
Video: Knife Skills, Gear, & How to Hold a Knife!
- 7″ Chef’s Knife — our best knife recommendation
- 10″ Chef’s Knife — our favorite large knife
- 8″ Chef’s Knife — our favorite affordable knife
- Paring Knife
- Serrated Knife / Bread Knife
- Non-Slip Wood Cutting Board (used in the video!) or Non-Slip Bamboo Cutting Board
- Non-Slip Plastic Cutting Board
- Knife Sharpener
- Drawer Knife Organizer — this is how we store our knives, and it’s even slicker than a knife block
Looking for cabbage recipes?
Now that you know how to cut cabbage, here are some of our favorite shredded cabbage recipes for you to try:
- Sauteed Cabbage
- Red Cabbage Slaw
- Best Creamy Coleslaw
- Easy Vinegar Coleslaw
- Mexican Coleslaw
- Peanut Noodles with Napa Cabbage
- Apple, Walnut, and Savoy Cabbage Salad
- Hearty Red Cabbage and Apples
- Crispy Cauliflower Tacos with Yum Yum Sauce
- Tropical Mango Quinoa Bowl
- “Verde” Lentil Vegan Tacos
- Spiced Chickpea Tacos
- Refried Bean Tacos
- BBQ Bean Tacos
- 39 Recipes to Make Anyone Love Cabbage