Texas Kolaches! A hearty breakfast pastry made with a fluffy, sweet breading around a cheese filled sausage. Skip the donut shop and make your own at home!
Texas Kolaches are a hearty breakfast pastry found at most donut shops around the great state of Texas. They are made with a light, fluffy yeast dough that surrounds a sausage. Typically cheese and jalapeno are included.
You are watching: How To Make Kolaches Easy
These pastries came to Texas by way of Czech immigrants. And while most Texans will call one of these a KOLACHE (Kol-ah-chee), Czech Texans will be quick to point out that this name refers to the sweet pastry, filled with fruit jellies. While the sausage variety is technically called a Klobasnek. The donut shops still list these as Kolaches, and if you order a Sausage Kolache, this is exactly what you will get
How to make:
- Make the dough: this recipe involves yeast, so it will need time to proof and rise. Place the dough in a draft free place to double in size before moving on to the next step.
- Separate the dough and press out to the size of the sausages being used.
- Roll the sausage. Then place on the baking sheet making sure to leave space between the rolls. Let these rise again before baking.
- Brush with an egg wash before baking to help give a golden, flavorful crust on the top.
Other Breakfast Recipes:
- Loaded Buttermilk Biscuits
- Homemade Southern Biscuits
- Cheese Grits