Round Steak and Mushrooms is a favorite with fork-tender beef in a delicious mushroom & onion gravy!
When you’re in the mood for cozy and hearty this recipe fits the bill. Spoon it over mashed potatoes or noodles.
You are watching: How To Make Round Steak Tender
Classic Comfort Dish
Beef is a favorite for comfort food from a Classic Beef Stew (or even Beef Bourguignon) to a simple Mushroom Salisbury Steak recipe.
When it comes to old-fashioned, down-home cooking, our Round Steak and Gravy recipe really hits a home run!
ROUND STEAK It’s an inexpensive cut of meat, but that doesn’t mean it has to be tough. The key is to cook it very low and slow (just like when making Swiss Steak).
If possible choose either beef round tip or preferably, the top round, which is the tenderest portion of the round.
MUSHROOMS & ONIONS Fried mushrooms and onions make the gravy so savory, especially slow-cooked in the oven right with the beef!
BROTH Beef broth is combined together with Worcestershire sauce and thyme leaves. It’s tasty gravy perfection!
Other Cuts of Beef
Other cuts of meat that will work well in this recipe include flank steak, London broil, chuck, skirt steak, or blade steak.
Why Tenderize Steak?
Round steak comes from the hind legs/rump of the animal and is lean. It can be tough if not cooked properly.
Tenderizing before cooking will break down the tough connective fibers in the meat. This, along with low and slow cooking, will help make this budget-friendly cut of meat tender.
One of the easiest ways to tenderize round steak is to simply pound it with a meat mallet or tenderizer. Be sure to use the textured side (the smooth side is used for flattening). The little spikes help to break down the fibers and connective tissues in the meat making it more tender.
How to Make Tender Round Steak
It’s super easy to make this meal in a Dutch oven or skillet covered with foil.
- Tenderize the meat (see tips above).
- Brown steaks in oil, remove from pan.
- Cook mushrooms & onions in butter, then add all ingredients into pan along with steaks, except cornstarch.
- Cover & slow cook in oven. Once tender, remove steaks and thicken the broth to make gravy.
- Store leftover Round Steak and Gravy covered in the refrigerator for 4 days.
- Reheat without cooking, by warming it slowly in the oven at 300°F. Or reheat individual portions in the microwave at 30-second intervals.
- To freeze, place in zippered bags or freezer containers, and store for up to 4 months.
More Delicious Beef Recipes
- Grilled Steak Fajitas – a fun family meal
- Easy Pepper Steak – flavor packed
- Beef Stew Recipe – perfect for autumn
- How to Cook the Perfect Steak – it’s so easy
- Beef and Broccoli – great for weeknights
- Crock Pot Cube Steak & Gravy – set it & forget it
Did your family love this Steak & Mushrooms? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!