Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast – Also known fondly as “Shit on a Shingle,” this Creamed Chipped Beef recipe is a classic breakfast staple that is simple to make and oh-so-satisfying to enjoy.
There’s no better way to start the day than with a good breakfast.
You are watching: How To Make Shit On A Shingle
Some mornings you want something light and healthy, like a smoothie, to get going. Other days you need a rich breakfast meal that really “sticks to your ribs,” as my mom would say. Something served hot that’s heavy, meaty, salty, and truly scrumptious.
We are big fans of biscuits and gravy, but it’s a yummy combination that can take quite a bit of time and effort to make. This Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast recipe has a similar rich and satisfying taste, but takes only a few minutes to whip up for a quick breakfast.
You’ve probably had (and likely loved) this dish before, sometimes called “Shit on a Shingle” or simply SOS. It has been a staple for generations as a cheap, simple, and hearty go-to breakfast… And, despite the nickname, should definitely be in your regular rotation of breakfast and brunch recipes!
The Best Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast
“Shit on a Shingle” is a retro war-time recipe made with white bread, dried Buddig Beef slices, and white gravy… Which were easy ingredients to find when rations were low. These are items still readily available at nearly any grocery store, and are usually pretty inexpensive.
Although this humble Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast recipe goes by a name that doesn’t sound very appetizing, it is in truth ultra-rich and utterly comforting. Creamy white gravy with wonderfully salty beef smothers the toast, creating a great mix of textures and flavors. It is simply everything you want for breakfast… Or a snack, or lunch, and yes also for dinner.
Try making it for yourself at home, and you’ll see why this classic cream chipped beef recipe has stayed popular for so long!
What Ingredients You Need
The original recipe for “Shit on a Shingle” was created in the early 1900s with just a few pantry staples, all of which are still used today.
Here is everything needed to make the best Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast:
- Dried beef slices – like Buddig Beef
- Unsalted butter – the beef slices have plenty of salt!
- All-purpose flour – you can also use GF flour mix
- Milk – we recommend whole milk
- Spices – onion powder, dried thyme, and cayenne pepper
- Texas toast – brioche, or thick-cut white bread
If you can’t find dried beef such as Buddig Beef, you can use thin pieces of pastrami, beef, ham, or turkey sliced deli meat. These won’t be as salty so you might need to add a pinch of salt to your cream chipped beef gravy.
How to Make Creamed Chipped Beef AKA “Shit on a Shingle”
Start to finish this easy breakfast recipe takes less than 15 minutes to make. It is perfect for whipping up as a last-minute meal before heading out the door or when you’re just enjoying a relaxing day at home.
Here is how to make classic homemade cream chipped beef on toast from scratch:
- First, cut the Buddig Beef into strips, and then into short segments.
- Next, place a large skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Once the butter has melted, quickly whisk in the flour to create a roux. Continue whisking as you cook the roux for just a few minutes, until light-gold in color.
- Then whisk in the milk. Keep whisking and add the onion powder, thyme, and cayenne. Simmer the gravy to thicken for another couple of minutes. Add in the dried beef, and cook another minute or two to warm the beef and thicken the gravy. If the gravy thickens too much, just add another splash of milk to reach the consistency you like.
While you’re making the cream chipped beef, toast the white bread slices in a toaster. Once the gravy is your preferred thickness, place 2 slices of toast on each plate and cover with creamy chipped beef.
I usually serve this dish with scrambled or fried eggs. You can also include a side of fresh fruit to lighten up and add a bit of sweetness to the meal!
Get the Complete Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Looking for More Classic Breakfast Recipes?
- The Creamiest Cheese Grits
- Easy Waffle Recipe
- Corned Beef Hash Recipe
- How to Make French Toast
- Breakfast Fruit Pizza
Share This Recipe With Friends!