Spicy red chile sauce meets up with creamy refried beans and plenty of cheese to make these Chicken Burritos. One bite was all it took and we were hooked.
These are not little burritos that you’ll be holding in your hand to eat. These burritos will have you grabbing a plate and a fork and diving right into that creamy, cheesy, chicken-filled awesomeness.
You are watching: Red Chile Chicken Burritos
As a New Mexican food-loving girl, I can tell you with full confidence and having tried them both ways, that these burritos are excellent when made with either red chile or green chile enchilada sauce. (Homemade or store-bought sauces both will work well here.)
However, because green chile is our go-to for pretty much everything, the red chile in these burritos was a fun change of pace and has a slight edge for me with this flavor combination.
My friend Susan shared these Lazy Girl Enchiladas a while back and they sounded so good, I had to try them.
I’ve played with the recipe a bit since then and these burritos have been voted a unanimous new favorite with my guys.
I really like the addition of refried beans here, combined with the fresh onions and cilantro in the burritos. The flavors are terrific together.
Cumin Lime Crema
That cumin lime sauce drizzled over the top makes them just a little bit fancier than the way I typically serve our enchiladas with a scoop of sour cream. Delicious both ways, but we really like the sauce.
To make the sauce, you’ll simply stir sour cream, cumin, and fresh lime juice together until smooth.
I transferred ours to a zip-close bag and cut the corner off so that I could easily drizzle it over the top.
For another awesome cream sauce that pairs nicely with these burritos, I recommend making a batch of this Avocado Cream Sauce.
How To Assemble Burritos
Assembling these burritos is easy as can be. There is no need for exact measurements. (And those measurements will change according to the size of the tortilla you are using.)
I’m feeding my ravenous children most days, so I typically use 12-inch tortillas and fill them generously.
Scoop some beans onto the center of a tortilla and spread them in a line down the center of a tortilla. Top it with a spoonful of the chicken mixture, shredded cheese, and a sprinkling of green onions and cilantro.
Chicken Burrito Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, stir and cook an additional minute, until fragrant.
- Stir in the enchilada sauce and the green chili. Add 3/4 teaspoon cumin, red pepper flakes, and salt. Taste and add more salt as needed. Add the chicken and stir to combine. Remove from the heat.
- Scoop the can of refried beans into a medium-size bowl and smash with a spoon until smooth and spreadable.
- To assemble the burritos, spread a line of refried beans down the center of a tortilla. Top it with a spoonful of the chicken mixture, shredded cheese, and a sprinkling of green onions and cilantro.
- Roll up the burrito and place edge side down on a large baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and fillings. Bake uncovered for about 20 minutes until the tortillas are golden brown with crisp edges. While the burritos are in the oven, whisk together the sour cream, cumin, and lime juice until smooth.
- Remove the burritos from the oven and transfer the burritos onto plates. Drizzle with the sour cream mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining green onions and cilantro.