This Cajun Chicken is filled with tender bites of chicken and sweet bell pepper, perfectly seasoned with the best cajun seasoning. This quick and easy skillet makes a healthy, filling, and super flavorful dinner, or can be set out with toothpicks for a hearty appetizer at a party or potluck. Make sure and check out how you can reinvent the leftovers from this recipe too for some great meal ideas for the rest of the week!
You are watching: Side Dishes For Cajun Chicken
Cajun Chicken Recipe
The best part of this recipe is the taste, but the next best thing is how simple it is. This Cajun Chicken recipe has only 6 simple ingredients and can be on the table in under 20 minutes.
The key is the homemade cajun seasoning! It adds lots of flavor, while keeping the recipe simple and easily made in just minutes. The seasoning has the best of the creole flavors with the perfect amount of kick. You can use more of it to make the the flavors more intense with a little more kick or you can use a little less for a more mellow flavor.
If you love Cajun flavors as much as me, make sure to try out my Baked Cajun Chicken and this Cajun Chicken Dip too!
What to Serve with Cajun Chicken
There are two ways I like to serve this Cajun Chicken Skillet. Usually I make it for a quick and easy dinner, but it also makes a really great hearty appetizer too. Just leave it in the skillet and place a cup of toothpicks next to it for a great bite sized snack.
When I serve it as a meal, there are a few options that make great side dishes to pair it with. Here are a few classic as well as just plain delicious serving suggestions:
Side Dishes for Cajun Chicken
- Corn Bread
- Cajun red beans
- Cheese grits
- Cajun dirty rice
- Garlic Smashed Potatoes
Low Carb Side Dishes
- Sautéed Garlic Spinach
- Cauliflower Dirty Rice
- Low Carb “Grits”
- Side salad with ranch dressing (mix cajun seasoning into ranch for an extra kick)
- Parmesan Zucchini tots
Hopefully this will get you off to a good start for your dinner. If you have another favorite cajun side dish you love, please let me know in the comments! I would love to try it out next time!
How to Make Cajun Chicken
This recipe is super simple and I can usually have it from the fridge to the table in 20 minutes or less. I am going to walk through my tips for the recipe here, but make sure to hop down to the bottom of the post for the full, printable recipe card.
- Cut the chicken breast into 1 inch chunks. Try to cut the chicken as evenly as possible so that it cooks evenly. Place it in a plastic bag or container with 1 tbsp of the olive oil and seasoning to marinate while you prepare the rest of the coral-beachresortsharjah.com you are making this ahead of time, you can place in the fridge overnight or put it in the freezer and thaw when ready to coral-beachresortsharjah.com the bell peppers evenly and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a skillet over high heat. You want the oil to be nice and hot before adding the chicken to help get the sear on the coral-beachresortsharjah.com the chicken and peppers to the skillet in a single layer. If you have too much you can do the cooking in two batches. Let the chicken cook for 3-4 minutes on the first side. Don’t stir other than to spread the chicken and peppers out when you add them to the pan into the single layer. You want to get the nice caramelized crust on the outside that adds so much coral-beachresortsharjah.com flip the chicken to the second side and let it cook for about 2 more minutes. Add the garlic and stir for one more minute.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and top with chopped green onions. This will be best when piping hot, so serve immediately. If you aren’t ready to eat, cover with foil to keep warm until serving.
What to do with Leftover Cajun Chicken
If you have leftovers you can use them for meal prep, or save them in the fridge or freezer for meals throughout the week or month.
- Place in an air tight container
- Refrigerate for up to 3-4 days
To Freeze Cajun Chicken:
- To freeze before cooking: prepare the chicken and veggies through step 1. Place the chicken and peppers in separate containers and freeze. When ready to cook, thaw completely then continue at step 2.
- To freeze Cajun Chicken after cooking: place in an air tight container (I like to divide into meal sized portions) and freeze for up to a month. Reheat in the microwave or skillet when ready to eat.
Leftover Recipes for Cajun Chicken
If you find yourself with leftovers of this dish, they are perfect to use for meal prep for the week, or can be reinvented into new recipes throughout the week or even the month when frozen. Here are some ideas you may want to try:
- Cajun Chicken Subs– Split a sub roll and butter each side and add a sprinkle of garlic powder, salt, and paprika. Bake at 425˚F until the butter is melted and the edges start to brown and get crisp. Then remove and pile on the cajun chicken and peppers and cover with sliced provolone cheese. Return to oven for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese melts and the chicken is heated through. Top with shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes and enjoy.
- Cajun Chicken Pasta- Cook pasta of choice or zoodles as directed. Once done, mix with alfredo sauce, cajun chicken with peppers, and additional cajun seasoning to taste. Serve garnished with parmesan and diced tomatoes.
- Cajun Chicken Quinoa- Make quinoa as directed on package. Once done, mix with cajun chicken and peppers, diced red onion, sweet peas, and kidney beans. Dress with olive oil, lime juice and additional cajun seasoning to taste.
- Cajun Chicken Salad- Chop romaine lettuce to fill a bowl. Top with cajun chicken and peppers, diced red onion, chopped tomatoes, and carrot shreds. Dress salad with olive oil, lime juice, and extra cajun seasoning to taste.
- Cajun Chicken Stuffed Peppers- Mix leftover chicken with rice and kidney beans in a 2:1:1 ratio. Cut peppers in half and remove the stem, ribs and seeds. Lay the peppers cut side up in a baking dish. Fill the peppers with the chicken mixture and top with provolone cheese. Pour 1 cup of chicken broth in the bottom of the baking dish. Cover and bake for 35-45 minutes or until the peppers are tender and the chicken is heated through. Remove the foil for the last 5-10 minutes of baking to allow the cheese to brown.
Do you have more easy skillet dinner recipes?
Plenty! Make sure to check out these recipes for some easy and super flavorful dinner ideas made in just one skillet.
- Garlic Chicken Bites
- Garlic Steak Skillet
- Easy Greek Chicken
- Cheesy Taco Skillet
- Ranch Chicken Bites
I really do hope that you get a chance to try this recipe soon and that your family enjoys it as much as mine does!
If you do get a chance to try it, I would love it if you let me know! Not only does it make my day, but it also helps my website when you leave a review!
You can leave me a comment below, or if you post a picture on Instagram, make sure to tag me @easyfamilyrecipes so that I can see what you are cooking up! It makes my day to see others enjoying the recipes that I share!
Oh and before you go!… If you need a regular rotation of recipe inspiration like me, make sure to sign up to get our emails! I send out my new favorites, the recipes my family has been devouring, and some of the best tried and true recipes. It is easy and free of course! You can click here to sign up.