This Oven Baked Chicken Thighs recipe is a force to be reckoned with! Simple and deliciously baked chicken with a mustard, honey glaze – this dish is definitely going to be a top-contender in your weekly recipe planning!
Oven Baked Chicken Thighs Recipe
I’ve done it again you guys! Another perfectly prepared and simple chicken recipe for your weekly rotation! Chicken is so easy to get creative with and is one of the most versatile meats out there! I’m willing to bet most of you won’t even need to make a trip to the supermarket, so that’s already a win win!
You are watching: The Best Baked Chicken Thigh Recipes
This chicken dish combines simplicity and bold flavors, making it an no-brainer for those mid-week meals! The sweet element of honey paired with the spicy and savouriness of mustard and honey glaze – I’m telling you, this sauce is absolutely drool worthy!
Do I Have To Use Chicken Thighs?
Of course not! You’re welcome to use other cuts of chicken including, drumsticks, wings, or breasts. Please keep in mind though, that different cuts of chicken will require different cook times!
- Chicken – I’m using 2 lb of chicken thighs today – bones in, skin on.
- Salt and pepper – For seasoning and to taste.
- Olive oil – I like to use a nice neutral tasting oil when cooking with chicken.
- Mustard – Today I am using both a regular mustard as well as a dijon grainy mustard. You can use any brand you like!
- Honey – The sweet element.
- Garlic – 6 fresh cloves, minced. Always remember the golden rule; 1 1/2 teaspoons is equal to 1 fresh clove.
- Red pepper flakes – For some added heat.
How To Make Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
- Preheat oven: To 425 F degrees.
- Prepare chicken: In a bowl or on a cutting board generously season both sides of the chicken thighs with salt and pepper; place into a 9×13 baking dish.
- Prepare sauce: In another bowl, whisk together the olive oil, both mustards, honey, garlic, and red pepper flakes until well incorporated. Brush sauce (be generous!) over both sides of the chicken thighs.
- Bake: Bake for 35 minutes or until the chicken highs have an internal temperature of 165 F degrees and skin is crispy.
- Serve: Remove from the oven, and serve warm!
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
These chicken thighs can also be made in the air fryer, for best results consult your manual since each fryer may be different. Here’s basic instructions on how to make these chicken thighs in the air fryer.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 F degrees. Follow the instructions to prepare the chicken and sauce as instructed in the recipe, including brushing them with the sauce.
- Place the chicken thighs in the air fryer basket, in a single layer, skin side up.
- Fry in the preheated air fryer until the chicken is brown and crispy, about 18 to 20 minutes. The chicken thighs should have an internal temperature of 165 F degrees when done.
How Do I Know When The Chicken Is Done?
The most foolproof way to ensure chicken is cooked through is by using a meat thermometer. Insert the thermometer into the thickest or meatiest part of the chicken and it should read between 165 F – 175 F degrees, when finished. I recommend using a meat thermometer for chicken attached to the bone as it can sometimes remain a little more pink than a chicken breast, due to the minerals in the bones.
How Long To Bake Chicken Thighs
Keep in mind that when baking chicken thighs with bone-in and skin-on the baking time required is longer than the skinless boneless kind. Also the oven temperature also affects how long you bake your chicken thighs for.
What To Serve With Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
Chicken, anyway you cook it, is super versatile! You can serve it so many ways; with some fluffy carbs and some veg, on a salad, over some rice or noodles – the options are truly endless! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Skillet Green Beans
- Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
- Harvest Rice
- Garlic Parmesan Brussel Sprouts
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Rice
What To Do With Leftovers
When stored or wrapped well, this oven baked chicken is going to last in the fridge for up to 3 days. I recommend freezing it to extend it’s shelf life. When stored in a sealed airtight container, the chicken will last in the freezer for 4 – 6 months.
How To Reheat Chicken Without Drying it Out
There are a couple different options when it comes to reheating chicken, the most common ways are in the oven or in the microwave.
- In the oven: Preheat your oven to 325 F degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the chicken in the centre of the aluminum foil and pull the sides up to completely wrap the chicken in the foil (brushing with a little olive oil prior to wrapping in foil will also help to keep the chicken crispy on the outside). Cook until internal temperature reaches 165 F degrees.
- In the microwave: Place the chicken into a microwave-safe dish. Again you can brush the chicken with olive oil to help the chicken stay moist. Cover the dish with microwave-safe plastic wrap and cook for 2 – 3 minutes at a time, until internal temperature reaches 165 F degrees. If you’re using regular plastic wrap – don’t let it touch the chicken as it can transfer chemical to the meat.
Looking For More Chicken Ideas? Try These Recipes:
- Garlic Butter Chicken
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Chicken Madeira
- Easy Chicken Paprikash
- Crockpot Thai Chicken
- Chicken on the Ritz
- Cheesy Chicken Fritters
- Crispy Fried Chicken