Osso Bucco is one of my favorite meals to make! This is an absolutely mouth-watering Italian comfort food that everyone should try at least once!
You are watching: What Is Osso Bucco Beef
Osso Bucco (Braised Beef Shanks Recipe)
This classic braised beef shanks recipe hails from 19th century Northern Italy and it really is the perfect evening meal for any occasion.
Just add a side dish of rice or some mashed potato cakes or twice baked potatoes, with a delicious glass of red wine and you have the perfect dish to enjoy with friends/family or dining alone when you’re unwinding after a long day.
Replacing the traditional veal with beef shanks in this Osso Bucco makes it super budget-friendly too!
Osso Bucco (Braised Beef Shanks Recipe) Ingredients
The ingredients for this braised beef shanks recipe are easy to pick up and really inexpensive!
- Beef shanks – cut into 3-4 inch pieces.
- Butter – for frying and flavor
- Minced garlic – adds fragrance and is a must in this dish.
- Large white onion – sliced into rings.
- Carrots – chopped.
- Dry white wine – you can use chicken stock to deglaze the pan instead if you don’t want wine
- Diced tomatoes
- Beef stock
- Salt and pepper – to taste.
How to Make this Osso Bucco (Braised Beef Shanks Recipe) Perfectly
- Dredge the beef shanks through the flour and coat it (skip this if you’re low-carb).
- Melt the butter in a large oven-safe braising pan over medium to medium-high heat.
- Fry the beef shanks in the butter until browned on the outside.
- Remove the beef shanks to a plate.
- Add the onion slices. Cook and stir until tender.
- Add in the garlic and the carrots. Fry until the garlic is fragrant.
- Pour in the white wine. Deglaze the pan. Stir in the beef broth and the tomatoes.
- Return the beef to the pan. Make sure the shanks are submerged in the sauce.
- Place the lid on top and cook the shanks in a 300 °F for 4-5 hours.
- For stove top, cover and simmer on the stove top over low heat for 2-3 hours.
What to Serve with Osso Bucco
One of my favourite ways to serve Osso Bucco (Braised Beef Shanks) is over a bed of creamy mashed potatoes with some pan-roasted vegetables on the side and nice red wine. The ultimate hearty meal!
Why not try one of these side dishes:
The BEST Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes!
Ukrainian Style Cream Dill Potatoes
Roasted Parsnips & Carrots
What is Osso Bucco Beef?
The term Osso Bucco means “hollowed bone” in reference to the marrow-filled shin bone that its made from. The traditional version Italian favourite is prepared using veal shanks, but I personally prefer the beef shanks version that we’re using here!
What Part of Beef is Osso Bucco?
The meat cut in Beef Osso Bucco is a cross-cut of beef from the shank that’s around an inch and a half thick. It’s a pretty thick meat cut but it becomes deliciously flavourful and tenderized when braised.
If you’re looking for more mouth-watering beef recipes, give these a go:
The Perfect Herb and Garlic Bottom Round Roast Recipe
Dutch Oven Pot Roast
Root Beer BBQ Slow Cooker Brisket
Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast & Peppers
Happy cooking everyone!