Home Fries are a go-to side dish for breakfast or even for dinner served with our favorite Meatloaf Recipe! Nothing says comfort food like the savory home-cooked goodness of fried potatoes.
We love serving home fries with a Denver Egg Casserole, but they’re also perfect alongside dinner recipes like salisbury steak or Swiss Steak!
You are watching: What Kind Of Potatoes For Home Fries
Home Fried Potatoes are a simple breakfast staple, tender yet starchy potatoes cooked in butter until crisp on the outside.
How to Make Home Fries
No need to peel your potatoes for this home fries recipe! Keep it rustic and just cut Russet potatoes into rough cubes before boiling in water. Russets are the best choice for home fries because they are firmer and reheat better than standard white or red potatoes.
Boiling the potatoes for a few minutes before frying (while the onion is cooking) makes the potatoes perfect every time! You don’t want to fully boil them, just soften a little. Be sure to cut them small, about 1/2″ to 3/4″ cubes.
I keep them simple with onions and potatoes but you can add peppers, fried mushrooms or even toss in leftover veggies!
To Cook Home Fries
- Boil the potatoes a few minutes until they are tender enough to poke with a fork.
- Heat some butter (or better yet, bacon grease!) and cook the onions until tender.
- Season the potatoes with seasoned salt and pepper and add to the pan.
- Cook until crispy and golden brown.
Serve warm with some ketchup or tabasco or even melted cheese! For a different twist, why not try cooking up a batch of sweet potato home fries? The same recipe applies to sweet potatoes, too! Home fried potatoes can also be the perfect starter to a breakfast hash!
More Easy Potato Recipes
- Scalloped Potatoes and Ham – Creamy comfort food!
- Twice Baked Potatoes – Make ahead and cook right from frozen!
- The BEST Mashed Potatoes – Dreamy, creamy and delicious!
- Potatoes Au Gratin – The perfect side dish along with ham!
- Easy Oven Roasted Potatoes – Easy and delicious, serve with steak or Stuffed Chicken Breast!
How to Reheat Home Fries
IF there’s any leftovers, right? Reheating in the microwave is a cinch, but it can cause the texture of the potatoes to change.
Baked home fries in the oven will restore their crispy crunch. Just spread out on a sheet pan or in a casserole dish, sprinkle on a little extra salt and pepper and reheat at 350°F for about 15 minutes. Voila!