Since the new year, I’ve been soaking up a little more R&R than usual. Truth be told, the holidays ran me a bit ragged and I’m struggling royally to get my mojo back. If there’s one thing I’ve been relying on it’s breakfast for dinner. Always keep stocked up on eggs because I can easily whip up a meal anytime. Since they’re an affordable source of protein, it’s a win/win. I scoured my pantry, which I often do to put together a list of herbs and spices to rock your scrambled eggs.
You are watching: What To Season Eggs With
Scrambled, fried, over easy. Eggs are like an empty slate just waiting for you to season them to perfection. You can literally try something new everyday. As a funny aside, I’ve always really enjoyed what I called “fried eggs” but since moving to Florida learned that not everyone calls them that. They call them “over hard” here. Ah, the things to keep up with! Let’s not even get into how ordering coffee here has changed for me. Apparently ordering coffee “regular” means nothing here. It’s a funny thing.
Pantry Herbs & Spices for Eggs
1. Salt & Pepper – this is a total no-brainer (I hope). These basics are a must and I often find myself starting with these and adding on some of the other ones for a tasty meal. I love cooking with my sea salt personally and to switch it up you can try some seasoned salt too.
2. Powdered Garlic – this is another one of my favorites that can be used as a base. It adds easily flavor with no fuss and adds on to give other spices and herb flavors an extra pop.
3. Minced Onions or Onion Powder – this is one of my newer favorites. I prefer to add minced onions to my egg mixture as soon as I put them in the frying pan so they have a time to soften up a little.
4. Parsley – No idea what inspired me to try this one, but I’m glad I did. There’s something extra fun about a burst of green herbs on my eggs.
5. Oregano – This herb not only tastes great, but your kitchen will smell delicious with a sprinkle or two.
6. Thyme – Don’t you think it’s time? See what I did there?
7. Dill Weed – This is one that I often forget about, but nevertheless a tasty one indeed.
8. Ground Cumin – If you’re a fan of cumin, this might be something refreshing to try.
9. Smoked Paprika – Regular paprika is good too, just doesn’t pack as much of a yummy punch.
10. Taco Seasoning – this is surprisingly delicious, just go light on this to try. A little goes a long way.
11. Italian Seasoning – Are you a fan of this combo? Try sprinkling a little over top your next breakfast! If you liked oregano, you’ll probably enjoy this upgrade.
12. Adobo Seasoning or a little sprinkle of Sazon – I started keeping these on hand when learning some tips on cooking Puerto Rican cuisine. Decided to experiment on eggs and it’s a win! Tasty way to enjoy something new.
Some like it hot! I enjoy sriracha or hot sauce on occasion, but you can also kick your eggs up a notch with these seasonings too:
13. Chili Powder – This is a great place to start if you want to add a little kick to your eggs.
14. Crushed Red Pepper or red pepper flakes is another way to get your dose of chili pepper.
15. Ground Cayenne Red Pepper – Like it a little hotter? Easily bring a little more fire with this red pepper.
Want to try something fresh? Try adding sliced avocado to your eggs or bake them in a muffin tin!
Looking to kick off the new year right? Then check out these 96 healthy breakfast ideas and 10 more ways to enjoy eggs.
Sprinkle some herbs in the comments. What is your favorite seasoning to add to your eggs?